A LITTLE HISTORY TAKEN FROM “THE PAGES OF HISTORY OF TRINITY LUTHERAN CHURCH, ELIDA, OHIO
Abraham Doner came to the Elida area in the 1830’s. He was a devout churchman and he missed the church services of his old home in Fairfield County and felt the need of places of public worship in this new country. By 1837 he had organized a Lutheran Society in his neighborhood, the present Elida community. He was recognized by the Joint Synod of Ohio in 1839 when that body licensed him to preach.
In 1851, $179.55 was subscribed towards “building a new meeting house at the graveyard at Stebleton on Little Hog Creek”. The subscription list was headed by the statement, “the Church is to be called Lutherian Church but it is to be free for all Christians Societies to preach in and have meetings in where theirs no appointments by the Lutherians all other Societies must keep good order if not hey shall abide by the Church Officers”.
THE FOLLOWING WAS TAKEN FROM “HISTORY OF ALLEN COUNTY"
Trinity German Evangelical Lutheran Church--The following history is taken from a copy of a sketch deposited in the corner-stone of the new church in 1876:
The congregation was organized by Rev. Abraham Doner in 1837 and continued until 1852. During his ministry the old frame church building, which gave place to the present church building in 1876, was erected. Mr. Doner died in 1857. After a vacancy of two years Rev. P. J. Stirewalt was appointed pastor and served four years, when he returned to Virginia. He was succeeded by Rev. J. S. Stirewalt, who served two years. After a vacancy of one year, Rev. T. W. Corbett became pastor. He was succeeded by Rev. J. D. Nunemacher. At this time the membership was 38, being 13 less than at a former period. In October, 1865, Rev. A. S. Bartholomew became pastor; the building was remodeled and meetings held every Sunday. In 1876 the congregation numbered 217. On August 19, 1876, the corner-stone of the new church was placed by Rev. A. S. Bartholomew. The tower is 115 feet high. Previous to this time the Reformed German Lutheran and Evangelical Lutherans worshiped together until the reorganization, when the form of worship of the German Evangelical faith was adopted. The church building cost about $8,000.
The church was built at a cost of $8,000 and is still standing today when many other buildings, built at a greater cost no longer stand. Quality and pride of workmanship.